New One Way Bearing series by Boca Bearings. Drawn cup needle roller
clutches have a small radial section height and are also commonly known
as One Way Bearings or Anti-Reverse Bearings. This design uses the same
small radial section as drawn cup needle roller bearings which make
better use of available space. The units are compact, lightweight and
operate directly on a shaft; they are also suitable for transmitting
One Way Bearings are designed to transmit torque between the
shaft and housing in one direction and allow free motion in the
opposite direction. Proper mounting is easily accomplished with a
simple press fit in the housing. Clutches and clutch and bearing
assemblies are offered both in inch and metric series. One Way Bearings
without bearing assemblies are indicated by suffix: HF/FC/RC. One Way
Bearings with bearing assemblies are indicated by suffix: HFL/FCB/RCB.
• HFL series has two integral radial bearings
arranged on both sides of needle roller clutch. They can therefore
support radial forces in particularly space-saving bearing
• Plastic springs (HFL...KF) are available for some sizes.
• Partially knurled outer ring (HFL...R) is available upon
• A special tool is suggested when assembling the clutch and
bearing assembly. For details please contact our engineers.
• Only after the clutch and bearing assembly has been pressed
into the hole of the housing, the drawn thin-walled outer ring could
then obtain its final dimension and geometric accuracy.
• The transmissible torque and the stresses which can be taken
by the housing are subject to the material and the wall thickness of
the housing, and such data is needed upon enquiry.
• The clutch and bearing assembly can be normally used in
temperature range from -30°C to 120°C. For the working
environment above 70°C, oil lubrication is recommended.
ONE WAY BEARING
• Torque can be transmitted by either the housing or
• Torque is positively transmitted by rollers that wedge
against interior ramps.
• Transition from free motion to lock occurs with minimal
backlash or lost motion.
• Available as clutch-only or as a clutch and bearing assembly.
• Clutch-only units should be used with external radial
support to hold the shaft and housing.
ONE WAY BEARING
• Paper moving for copiers, fax machines, paper towel
• Exercise equipment
• Two-speed gearboxes
• Rack indexing drives
• Converters, non-return devices and transcendental clutches.
• Fishing Reels, RC Cars, RC Helis, RC Engines
ONE WAY BEARINGS
Although the outer cup of the clutch is accurately drawn from
strip steel, it can go slightly out of round during heat treat. When
the assembly is pressed into a ring gage or properly prepared housing
of correct size and wall thickness, it becomes round and properly
sized. Direct measurement of the outside diameter of a drawn cup
assembly is an incorrect procedure. The proper inspection procedure is
1. Press the assembly into a ring gage of the proper size as
given in the tabular data.
2. Gage the bore with the specified plug gages of the proper size, as
given in the tables of dimensions.
- The locking plug is rotated to insure lockup when the clutch
is operated at low limit shaft and is mounted in a high limit housing
strong enough to properly size the clutch.
- The overrun plug is rotated to ensure free over-running when the
clutch is operated on a high limit shaft and is mounted in a low limit
- The go plug and no go plug insure proper size of the bearings in the
clutch and bearing assemblies.
ONE WAY BEARINGS
Simplicity of installation promotes additional cost savings.
The drawn cup roller clutch, or the clutch and bearing assembly, must
be pressed into its housing. The unit is pressed into the bore of a
gear hub or pulley hub, or housing of the proper size, and no
shoulders, splines, keys, screws or snap rings are required.
Installation procedures are summarized in the following sketches:
Use an arbor press or hydraulic ram press which will exert
steady pressure. Never use a hammer or other tool requiring pounding to
drive the clutch into its housing.
Make sure that the housing bore is chamfered to permit easy
introduction of the clutch and bearing or the clutch unit. Press unit
slightly beyond the chamfer in the housing bore to assure full seating.
Through-bored housings are always preferred. If the housing has a
shoulder, never seat the clutch against the shoulder.
IMPORTANT: The mounted clutch or clutch and bearing assembly
engages when the housing is rotated relative to the shaft in the
direction of the arrow and LOCK marking stamped on the cup. Make sure
that the unit is oriented properly before pressing it into its housing.
Use an installation tool as shown in the diagram below. If
clutch is straddled by needle roller bearings, press units into
position in proper sequence and preferably leave a small clearance
between units. When assembling the shaft, it should be rotated in the
overrun direction during insertion. The end of the shaft should have a
large chamfer or rounding.
Below is a list of One Way Bearings design features and characteristics. These are not the only design features available for One Way Bearings but this is what we would have available from our inventory in Florida. Click on any of the links below and you will see a list of products available off of our shelf today with that particular feature. If you do not see something please INQUIRE AVAILABILITY here.