Ron Mayer began his involvement in competitive bass fishing in 2003 when he joined the Centennial Bass Club of Northern Colorado. While a member of Centennial Ron served one term as Tournament Director and was also active in several programs including C.A.S.T. (Catch A Special Thrill, a program that takes physically and mentally handicapped kids fishing), Casting Kids (a BASS program devoted to teaching kids the fundamentals of casting, flipping, and pitching), multiple conservation and habitat construction projects, teaching seminars to BASS Jr. clubs, and working numerous sports and tackle shows.
In 2007 Ron was a founding member of 5280 Basshunters, an FLW/TBF affiliated club that has grown to be the largest TBF club in Colorado. It is also the parent club of the largest team tournament format in Colorado, the Rocky Mountain Team Series. Mayer served as a member of the Tournament Committee until his relocation to Missouri in October of 2008.
The following are a few fishing accomplishments:
- 2006 1st Place Full Moon Open (largest bass fishing tournament in the State of Colorado)
- 2006 9th Place Angler of the Year Centennial Bass Club
- 2007 1st Place Full Moon Open
- 2007 2nd Place Angler of the Year Centennial Bass Club
- 2008 7th Place Full Moon Open
- 2008 2nd Place Angler of the Year Centennial Bass Club
- 2008 8th Place Ute Open (Ute Reservoir Logan, New Mexico)
- 2009 46th Place Overall BFL Ozark Division
- 2011 1st Place Sterett Creek Hawg Fights Championship (Truman Reservoir)
- 2011 8th Place Overall U.S.A. Bassin Sterett Creek Summer Division
- 2011 6th Place Overall U.S.A. Bassin Sterett Creek Fall Division
His current sponsors include: Head Turner Custom Lures, One Big Bite Lures, Autozone, and Boca Bearings.