Aug 10, 2018
The electric motor mount along with a battery mount were 3D-printed using PLA as seen in figure 1. Epoxy will be used to glue the mounts into place once I have the electrical components totally assembled and in the appropriate positions.
Figure 1: Battery mount and motor mount assembly.
Sanding was finally finished earlier this week. Krylon Sandable Primer was then used over the entire boat in two coats with a light sanding in-between coats (320P or finer). This gave the surface a flawless smooth finish. Once the final coat of primer was dry I decided to paint the boat a glossy brown color (Rust-oleum Gloss Protective Enamel) to give it that classic “Chris-craft” look as seen in figure 2.
Figure 2: Hull painted for the seconded time.
I then used painters tape to tape off the waterline of the vessel so I could spray paint the bottom a dark red (Dupli-color Perfect Match) as seen in figure 3.
Figure 3: Two coats of paint were applied to the bottom of the hull.
After the boat was set to dry overnight I removed the tape and the final product can be seen in figure 4.
Figure 4: Final paint job for 1940's Chris-Craft Barrel-Back.
Next will be final detailing and pin stripping on the hull to give the appearance of wood planking on the top deck.